This weekend I majorly lucked out and threw together an amazing salad. I was going to a church function and wanted a big salad that would appeal to a crowd. After perusing Pinterest for awhile, I just dug around my fridge went with the vision in my head–and it worked! I just love when that happens!
Party Pleasing Apple Cranberry Salad
Write a review
- About 1/4 cup creamy balsamic dressing (below)
- 2 apples, chopped (I used one Fuji and one Golden Delicious--any apple would work--the crunchier the better)
- 2 oz. crumbled feta cheese
- About 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 bunch kale, torn
- 1/2 bunch green leaf lettuce, torn
- Baby spinach, if desired
- About 1 cup whole wheat croutons (my recipe is below)
- Honey roasted chopped pecans or almonds (optional)
Creamy Balsamic Dressing
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 3/4 cup balsamic vinegar ( or half white half balsamic)
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbl. Pure maple syrup
- 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- Salt and pepper to taste
To make croutons
- 6-8 slices of whole wheat bread, or about 1/2 loaf whole wheat French bread, cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Seasoning to taste--I used Alvi's incredible from www.savethedayseasonings.com
- You could use Italian seasoning, salt and pepper, etc.
- Place the chopped apples in a large bowl and coat with dressing.
- Sprinkle the feta on top, then layer the cranberries, and greens.
- As long as your lettuce is dry, the salad will keep like this overnight.
- Now comes the fun part! Making croutons! Who knew it was SO easy!
- Toss the bread in olive oil and sprinkle with seasoning if desired.
- Place on a greased (I just used my silpat) cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 24-30 minutes, until golden and crunchy.
- Stir every 8 minutes.
- Store in an airtight container until ready to use!
For simple honey roasted nuts
- Melt about 1 T. coconut oil in a frying pan on medium heat.
- Add about 1 cup nuts.
- Cook on medium heat until nuts are toasted and turning more golden in color--about 5 minutes.
- Drizzle with about 1 T. honey and stir to coat. It will bubble at first.
- Remove from heat and let cool in pan.
- Add to salad just before serving!
Mama Matters Fitness http://mamamattersfitness.com/
Please follow and like us: