You may not know this, but before I got all into clean eating–I was a hard core treat lady. Pinterest gave me new ideas every day and I baked them. Like every day. So I’ve tried my fair share of sugar cookie recipes!
And this–THIS is the one that never fails.
Plus it’s CRAZY easy! No refrigerating or weird ingredients!
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350
- In a stand mixer, cream butter and sugar together
- Beat in extracts and egg
- In a separate bowl combine baking powder, salt and flour
- Add flour mixture in small batches until all ingredients are combined and smooth.
- Dough will be stiff.
- Roll dough out on a floured surface about 1/4 in thick.
- Cut into desired shapes and bake at 350 for 8 minutes
- Let cool on the cookie sheet until firm enough to transfer--about 3-5 minutes
- You may substitute additional almond extract in place of vanilla if desired
- This recipe is easily doubled!
- If you want super soft cookies, bake for 6-8 minutes. If you want crispier cookies, bake until the edges are golden, about 10 minutes.
- If you want to stray from the traditional frosted sugar cookies, try dipping half the cookie in melted chocolate or drizzling melted chocolate over the top, then finish it with shredded coconut, toffee bits, mini m&ms or whatever else you'd like! The cookies pictured have a layer of white chocolate drizzle and a sprinkle of unsweetened coconut. Yum!